Take a long look at your skin. Stare in the mirror. Are you proud of what you see? Does it sometimes feel as uncomfortable as tight, skinny jeans?
The state of your skin is proof of the absence or presence of constant Hyaluronic acid moisturizer application.
What is Hyaluronic Acid (a.k.a. hyaluronan or H.A.)?
The pastry is to flour, as hyaluronan is to skincare products. Since it is such an integral product, what exactly does it do? Humectants are substances that are capable of incredible water absorption. Hyaluronan is one of the best humectants around. You can almost begin to guess its function.
Naturally produced by the body, H.A. is a tiny molecule that functions to keep body tissues moist and well lubricated. Hyaluronic acid is able to absorb up to 1000 times its own weight in water. Think of H.A. as your body's natural sponge. It is produced in specific areas like the joints, eyes, and of course, the skin. With adequate water absorption in your skin, it keeps it fresh and pudgy like a ripe tangerine.
It has been discovered that H.A. does not naturally occur on your skin surface as it does on other parts. To, therefore, keep your skin indeed hydrated and shiny, H.A. must be applied to it synthetically in a hyaluronic acid moisturizer.
Checklist for a credible hyaluronic acid moisturizer
With many skin care products around, making the right choice is sometimes almost Herculean. Follow us as we show you the things to look out for when purchasing a hyaluronic acid moisturizer:
- Skin type: If you know your shoe and waist sizes, you should know your skin type too. Particular H.A. moisturizers are better for specific skin types.
- Scent: Choose a smell you know you are comfortable with since it will be right up your nose for at least half of the day.
- SPF: With the increased awareness of cancer, almost everybody wears sunscreen. Choose a moisturizer that has SPF 15 or higher.
- Labels: Reading is a survival skill, and in this situation, it sure comes in handy. Only use a moisturizer with hyaluronan that is allergy tested, or non-comedogenic.
Top Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer Products
We've done your homework, and generously present to you, the best hyaluronan moisturizers in the market.
1) Fresh Rose Moisturizer (Best for anti-aging)
Are you aging quickly, but don't want to look like it? The Fresh Rose Moisturizer cannot stop aging, but it should hide it. It constitutes 100% natural ingredients, designed to renew the skin. Containing hyaluronic acid and resveratrol, Fresh Rose prevents the formation of wrinkles, while erasing already present ones. This is achieved by increased hydration of the skin, causing maximal plumpness.
It is incredible that Fresh Rose performs its main function of anti-aging without any question. There's however, only so much it can do. Red blotches on people's faces do not speak well. This needs to be improved upon. And maybe just a little more content wouldn't hurt.
- Has feminine smell, with a hint of rose, unlike other anti-aging creams
- Works well under makeup
- Small content
- May elicit allergic reactions in a select few people, causing red blotches.
2) Clarins Hydra-Essential Intensive Moisture Quenching Bi-Phase Serum (Best for dry skin)
People that suffer from dry, scaly skin have testified to the hydrating power of this moisturizer. Two major ingredients constitute this moisturizer: Leaf of Life is local to Madagascar and hyaluronic acid. The former can continue growing even in harsh weather, and H.A. absorbs water. Together, they form an unstoppable force.
It is a functioning product that has room for a lot more. We dislike that poor animals are used as test subjects. It is so pungent; it is a big turnoff for many people. Change it already.
- Small squirt can cover the whole face, hence ensuring preservation.
- Works instantaneously
- In older people with drier skin, it is usually too light.
3) Kate Somerville Wrinkle Warrior 2-in-1 Plumping Moisturizer and Serum (Best for anti-aging)
Who needs a cream with Kate Somerville's moisturizer? It contains all three sizes of hyaluronic acid – large, medium, and mini. This immensely aids skin penetration at different levels. Kate Somerville is 2-in-1 in that while serving as a hydrating agent for your skin; it doubles as a makeup primer. It is a warrior, indeed.
Kate Somerville is an infamous skincare expert. She's the one the big guns in Hollywood consult for their skincare routines. It is no surprise that her product is near perfect, giving instant results. Be ready to spare some extra dollars, though, for obvious reasons.
- Sichuan pepper constituent gives an immediate visible reduction of lines and wrinkles
- It smells like a melon. And hey, who doesn't like the smell of lemons?
- It is not suitable for all skin types.
- It contains dimethicone, and this renders a slippery feeling.
4) SkinCeuticals H.A. Intensifier (Best for dry skin)
This product claims to not only transiently keep your skin hydrated, but also increases H.A. body levels by up to 30% in only four weeks. A handful of concentrations of hyaluronic acid and Pro-Xylene help it to prevent moisture loss. A blend of purple rice reduces flaking and also renders antioxidant properties that reduce inflammation and help the skin to repair itself.
SkinCeuticals H.A. Intensifier not only hydrates your skin but inherently increases H.A. content in your body. This translates that even after use, there is a constant generous supply of moisture. This is ingenious.
- Significantly increases the body reservoir of H.A.
- Works perfectly for any skin type
- It could give the experience of excessive slipperiness, as opposed to real hydration.
5) L'OrealRevitaliftDerm Intensives Hyaluronic Acid Serum (Best for oily skin)
Hyaluronic acid and most other humectants do not clog skin pores. Contrary to logical reasoning, any attempt to dry out an oily skin could lead to even more greasiness. The L'OrealRevitalift is a lightweight serum. This feature enhances quick absorption into the skin, leaving no residue. One week of constant use will show significant results.
The L'OrealRevitalift, however, falls short in many ways. As it very often causes what it's meant to prevent in some people, the production process should probably be reviewed.
- Suitable for most skin types since it lacks fragrance.
- Could double as a makeup primer
- Sometimes causes excessive dryness and tightness, not the best hyaluronic acid moisturizer
6) Neutrogena Hydro Boost Lip Treatment (Best for chapped lips)
Who says lips cannot benefit from hyaluronan? The perfect set of sexy, glossy lips somehow raises our confidence levels as ladies. An unconventional moisturizer with hyaluronic acid, Neutrogena Hydro, works to improve the hydration of your lips by absorbing water from the environment.
Lip moisturizers are the favorite of most. And no, they serve better functions than your ordinary Vaseline. We would wish if they could last longer, though.
- It has no waxy feel
- Can be used alone or as prime before liquid lipstick
- It does not last long enough
7) Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Acid Cloud Cream (Best for sensitive skin)
This moisturizer should leave your skin in an immediate after-bath mode. It is lightweight and hence is quickly absorbed into the skin. It contains ceramides that also complement this function.
Though a downside to an extent, since it lacks oils, alcohol, and fragrances, it is perfect for those with highly sensitive skin.
- Works on all skin types
- Lasts for as long as 72 hours
- Sometimes seems to clog skin pores, causing increased sweating.
8) Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream (Best for fine lines and wrinkles)
Manufacturer: Procter & Gamble
Constituents like amino-peptide complex II, and carob extract, in correct combination with H.A., are the perfect recipe for anti-aging. Olay Regenerist regenerates your skin, affording you an ever-young appearance. Proper hydration with this hyaluronic acid moisturizer should clear your skin of all wrinkles, while equally preventing new ones from forming. They say it is meant to deliver moisturizing ingredients ten layers deep, but we know the skin doesn't even have up to 10 layers. Maybe that's beside the point.
Overall, however, it is a product that truly works. Who needs plastic surgery with these kinds of moisturizers?
- It is available in both scented and fragrance-free versions. It is, therefore, suitable for all skin types.
- Probably not their fault, but for some reason, a lot of fake products seem to exist. You're better off buying directly from the manufacturer. Who really has that time?
There's much more to your skin than its present state. A hyaluronic acid moisturizer is what stands between you and the skin of your dreams. And that's good news!