Toenail fungus is a really nasty, persistent condition that takes months to treat.
Due to the fact that traditional drugs are unreliable, people are trying lots of different alternatives. Among others, there are those who are using bleach for this particular issue.
Bleach is very cheap and can be found in any household. In fact, it costs around 50 cents or less per foot soak. You can also apply it directly to the affected toenails, which reduces the cost even further.
While bleach might sound gimmicky, there are lots of people who have seen results by using it. Unfortunately, although it seems like a cheap and reliable solution, it can cause certain side effects. For example, it can lead to pain, discomfort, and skin irritation. Then again, it depends on the sensitivity of your skin.
How can you use bleach for toenail fungus?
There are lots of different home remedies that you can use for this particular condition. Still, given that bleach is one of the strongest ones, it is necessary to handle it with care. A patient has two different options when using bleach. The first is to soak the feet, and the second is to apply bleach directly on the infected toenail.
- Soaking your feet
Given the strength of bleach, you will have to dilute it before you can apply it. Soak is perhaps the better way of using bleach for toenail fungus. This is because bleach is diluted, and thus, it will less likely cause irritation. Start by getting a tub that will be used exclusively for soaking your feet. After you're done with it, we suggest that you toss it away. Fill the tub with water and add one cup of bleach into it. Needless to say, it has to have much more water than bleach. You have to soak your feet for 20 minutes per soak several times a day. You are also able to add some other substances that work well for the toenail fungus. For example, you can add tea tree oil, coconut oil, and other essential oils that help with this particular problem. Essential oils will lead to a nicer smell.
- Applying bleach to the toenails
A bit more dangerous rout is to apply the substance directly to the nail. You will need q-tips for this or cotton ball. Just put some bleach on a q-tip or a cotton ball and start tapping the nails. When it’s done, you should use another q-tip or cotton ball to remove the bleach from your toenails. You can also wash them. Given that this method is much more aggressive, we suggest that you do it no more than once a day. You might also consider doing it once in a few days.
Due to the strength of bleach, you will need to stay on your toes (no pun intended). The most important thing is to determine whether or not bleach is safe for you. If there is any irritation, and especially if irritation persists, you will have to quit the treatment as soon as possible.
However, if your body reacts well to treatment, you might consider adding some more bleach. When you’re using soak, this means you should increase the percentage of bleach. If you’re tapping the toenails, this means you should do it more often.
There are also other things that can hasten the treatment. For example, you should be more careful about your feet. People who have toenail fungus should stay away from a humid environment. If they are exposed to too much water (like rain or snow), they should wash their feet and dry them properly.