Whether you ran a few extra miles or are sore from moving, your muscles work hard each and every day. Of course, muscles help us lift, jump, and movement in general, but they're also responsible for organ support and posture. Although it's easy to take a painkiller when you're feeling a little rough, this will simply mask painful symptoms.
If you want to get to the source, and help your muscles heal naturally, you'll need to provide them with beneficial healing properties. A muscle salve is the perfect solution — helping you restore function more rapidly, without the use of medications. This simple remedy utilizes the healing power of both carrier and essential oils, restoring muscle function much more rapidly.
What's In This DIY Muscle Salve and Why Use It?
Although there are a number of possible combinations, a salve is any ointment in which promotes healing. Often used for skin conditions, salves can also be absorbed, combating issues below the subcutaneous tissue — in this case, sore, achy muscles.
Depending on the ailment or issue, you can select a range of beneficial essential oils.
Extracted from plants, these oils possess potent healing powers, allowing you to naturally restore function. In this recipe, we used rosemary, lavender, and peppermint — combined with both olive and coconut oil. These ingredients benefit your muscles based on the following properties:
- Rosemary — Often used to improve muscle and joint pain, especially among those with arthritis, rosemary oil helps promote circulation. In turn, more oxygen and nutrient-rich blood reach the affected area. When combined with lavender and peppermint, it becomes even more effective.
- Lavender — Known for its calming properties, lavender also offers anti-inflammatory benefits. Once again, it will also improve circulation while reducing any associated swelling.
- Peppermint — Both cooling and calming, peppermint is not only able to soothe sore muscles, but when taken internally, it also offers potent digestive benefits.
- Coconut oil — Also a natural anti-inflammatory, coconut oil applied topically, will increase the available blood supply, reducing both pain and swelling.
- Olive oil — Since Ancient Greece, athletes have utilized the beneficial effects of olive oil, helping to protect their skin and relax their muscles. It's a great carrier oil because the majority of households have it on-hand.
There are other soothing essential oil combinations that you can experiment with, including ginger, thyme, black pepper, winter green, lemongrass and basil. If your muscles are in need of a 'boost' — try the following quick and easy recipe yourself.
How to Make This Muscle Rub
With just five ingredients, this salve can be made within a few short minutes, ensuring you have a natural remedy available for when you need it most.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 drops rosemary essential oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- Using a double boiler, melt coconut oil — remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add olive oil and essential oils, stirring to combine.
- Place in an airtight container and store in fridge.
- Whenever in need, scoop out a small amount and work it into your skin around the affected area.