• Free Shipping on orders above $35 •

Antifungal Liquid: A Guide to Understanding the Solution

Antifungal Liquid: A Guide to Understanding the Solution

Fungi are a group of organisms that have a separate classification than animals, plants, and bacteria. They occur naturally in our environment, and while they are largely thought of as harmful, they actually play important roles in nature

Despite the value they bring to the table, however, these organisms can sometimes be harmful to our health. Especially when they build up in certain parts of your body, they can cause skin conditions that aren't particularly pleasant. A very common example today is the athlete's foot.

Thankfully, you can use a simple antifungal liquid solution to treat problems that arise as a result of fungus building up on your skin. In this article, we will be taking a look at this method of treatment and providing you with all the necessary information you need before you go ahead and begin using it.

What is antifungal liquid?

This type of liquid is a topical drug that helps you to combat fungal infections on your skin.

Among others, it is particularly useful for treating athlete's foot, ringworm, jock's itch, etc.

Usually, this kind of medication contains an acid known as undecylenic acid. This fatty acid works in your favor by halting the fungus's growth in the area it is applied.

What are the precautions to note before using this medication?

Topical treatments are generally not too difficult to get around. This is because they are applied to an area of your skin.

Unlike injections, among others, you don't need a doctor to be physically present with you during application.

However, there are still a few things that you absolutely must keep in mind before taking this medication.

  1. Ensure that you are not allergic to it.

Naturally, topical antifungal medication can come with a few side effects that are different from one person to another.

However, these effects can be drastically compounded if you have an allergy. As such, you must ensure that you are not allergic to this drug before you begin to apply it as a treatment for fungal infections.

You can go through the list of ingredients used in making the medication to confirm if you are allergic. There, you might find an active or inactive constituent that you have a history of allergies for.

If you come across any such ingredients, you should tell your doctor or your pharmacist promptly. He/she would then give you guidelines on what to do.

  1. Contact your doctor before application if you are pregnant

There is little to no evidence today that points towards this type of liquid being harmful to unborn children. This is largely so because they are applied topically rather than ingested.

However, in situations involving a baby, conceived or otherwise, it is always better to be safe than to be sorry. As such, you should contact your doctor before you begin using this topical medication. 

In the same vein, if you are a nursing mother, you should call your doctor as well. Just as there isn't evidence to prove that it harms unborn children, there also is no evidence that shows that this medication can pass into your breast milk.

However, as we stated earlier, it is better to be on the safe side.

  1. Be wary of potential drug interactions

It is quite unlikely that orally ingested drugs or injected medication will have a negative interaction with your antifungal topical. However, their constituting compounds might not be well-suited for coexistence in your bloodstream.

As such, if you will be using an antifungal liquid, take all your current medication to your doctor. They will be able to understand how each compound works with another properly.

Alongside that, he/she will be able to monitor you properly and intervene with advice or action if things don't go quite as planned.

  1. Keep it out of the reach of children

This one is a bit of a no-brainer. Kids are known for their inclination towards putting virtually everything in their mouths.

However, topical antifungal medicine must never be ingested or even introduced through any orifice. As such, you must always ensure that your children do not have access to this drug.

Under the circumstance that it does get into their mouth, eyes, etc. you should flush it out immediately and contact your doctor.

How do you use antifungal liquid?

The process for applying topical medication is quite straightforward, even for those that are antifungal. Regardless, there are a few guidelines you should note. They are:

  1. Do not apply the topical outside of your doctor's prescription. If you must, ensure that you are following the appropriate dosage as the product label states. 
  2. Never take the drug into your mouth. It is meant for your skin only and can cause significant damage to you if ingested orally.
  3. After applying this topical, ensure that you wash your hands thoroughly. This is to prevent situations where you accidentally put your hand in your mouth, eyes, or in food. However, if you are applying the topical for hand infections, be careful not to touch any of the aforementioned.
  4. Ensure that you clean and dry the area of your skin you want to apply the drug onto before you apply it. 
  5. Except under the instruction of your doctor, do not cover the affected area after applying the topical. Even if you must cover it to protect your clothes, ensure you only use a light cotton gauze. 
  6. Under the circumstances that your symptoms start to dissipate before you finish using the drug, you must complete your prescription. Additionally, it would be best if you did not skip application dates as it could lead to an increased chance of infection. 
  7. Contact your doctor if you do not notice any changes in the situation in the first four weeks of usage. 

What are the potential side effects of antifungal liquid?

It is not quite common to experience serious side effects when you use the antifungal liquid. However, here are a few things that could happen when you apply the topical medication to your skin:

  • Blistering of the affected area.
  • Burning, irritation, or itching sensation in the area being treated.
  • Swelling, oozing, or redness on the skin.

You must keep in mind that if your doctor was the one who asked you to use this medication, the chances are that s/he considers the benefits larger than the drawbacks.

Regardless, if you notice any serious signs resembling an allergic reaction such as difficulty in breathing, rashes, etc. contact your physician. Additionally, you can contact the FDA to report any new side effects.

Frequently Asked Questions

Now that we have covered sufficient grounds on the antifungal liquid let us answer some of the most popular questions.

Q1: What should I do if I accidentally miss one dose?

If this happens, ensure that you apply the medication as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for you to make another application, you shouldn't bother anymore. Regardless of what happens, though, you must never use extra amounts of a drug to make up for missed doses.

Q2: What should I do if I apply more than I should?

Generally, overdosing, or using too much antifungal liquid, should not have any dangerous consequences. However, you should contact your doctor for further clarification, especially if you have a pre-existing health condition.

Q3: What shouldn't I do while using antifungal liquid?

Do not wear clothes that are tightfitting as they may reduce airflow. Additionally, you should never let the medication get into your eyes or mouth. Finally, don't combine other forms of skin medication while using this medication.

In conclusion

Staying informed about the drug you are using is incredibly important. However, it is equally important that you contact your doctor as frequently as possible.

They are in a better position to advise you as they understand the peculiarities of your physical condition.

Shopping Cart
0
No products in the cart.