It’s been known throughout the ages as a natural remedy for a wide array of aliments and has some tremendous health benefits as well as beauty, household and gardening uses.
What are the Benefits of using Epsom salts?
- Magnesium (the main component of Epsom salts) helps regulate the activity of over 325 different enzymes. It also helps reduce inflammation, helps muscle and nerve function and helps prevent the hardening of arteries.
- Sulfates improve the absorption of nutrients, help flush out toxins and help soothe pain
- Epsom salts reduces stress and relaxes the body because magnesium boosts serotonin production, upping the levels of feel good hormones in the body
- Because magnesium stimulates ATP (adenosine triphosphate) production, Epsom salts also help increase energy and stamina
- Epsom salts relives muscle pains and cramps, relieves inflammation and helps heal cuts and wounds faster.
- It helps soften the skin and neutralizes foot odor
- Epsom salt helps regulate electrolytes in the body, ensuring optimal muscle, and nerve as well as enzyme functions.
- Magnesium is critical for the correct absorption and conduction of calcium
- Magnesium makes Insulin more effective, which helps lower the risk and severity of diabetes
- Epsom salt is great for detoxing the body. It helps flush toxins and heavy metals from the cells, thus easing muscle pain and getting rid of harmful substances in the body
If you want to learn more about the benefits and uses of Epsom salt check out saltworks.
Adding Epsom salts to your daily routine greatly enhances your life. If you have no clue where to start, here are some top tips for incorporating Epsom salts into your day and benefiting from its amazing healing properties…
The Epsom Salt Bath
Bathing in Epsom salts is relaxing and a great stress reliever. Aim for doing this three times a week
For the bath, add 2 cups of Epsom salt to your tub of warm water and then soak in it for at least 15 minutes. If you want to get more moisturizing properties in there, add ½ a cup of extra virgin olive oil to the water. Don’t use soap because it’s going to interfere with the action of the salt
The Epsom Salt Foot Soak
Much the same as the idea of soaking your entire body in a bathtub, the foot soak targets just your tootsies.
For soaking, add ½ a cup of Epsom salt to a foot tub of warm water and then soak your feet in the solution for at least 20 minutes. Dry your feet properly and then gently massage them with 2 drops of peppermint essential oil mixed into your favorite foot balm to keep them cool and fresh all day.
We're quite fond of our tea tree oil epsom salt foot soak.
Soaking either your whole body or just certain parts of it in warm water containing Epsom salt is majorly beneficial and it’s really as easy as that. You can add essential oils to increase the healing and moisturizing properties of the soak, but it’s up to you.
Adding Lavender Essential oil will add that soothing touch and calming effect, aiding in the relaxation experience. Lavender can also really help to improve the quality of sleep for people suffering from insomnia.
If you’re looking to boost the detoxifying properties of a Epsom salt soak, try adding a little ginger or cayenne, even baking soda, which will also help soften up your skin.
Epsom salt soaks are also beneficial for:
- Relieving the symptoms and pain associated with Athlete’s Foot
- Drawing out splinters that are deeply buried in the skin
- Treating toenail fungus
- Soothing sprains and bruises
- Easing the discomfort associated with Gout
- Getting rid of foul odor on the feet
- Helping to regulate blood sugar
The great thing about Epsom salt is that the minerals are easily absorbed through your skin. Soaking with Epsom salts is one of the best ways to boost your magnesium levels. Magnesium is a mineral that gets depleted by stress and anxiety, so it’s critical to keep our levels up. One soak a day keeps the doctor (and supplements) away because it significantly improves the magnesium levels in the body in as little as 4 weeks of regular use.
Your body needs a good 20 minute soak to fully absorb the magnesium and get rid of all the toxins, so always aim for a good 20 minutes or more of soaking time with Epsom salts.
Epsom salts is a whole body treatment, and even if you just soak your feet, the rest of your body will still reap the rewards.
We hope that this article has shown you the great health benefits of using Epsom salts and how easy it is to incorporate it into your daily routine. It’s time to start using the resources mother nature put out there for us to help heal, soothe and restore our bodies.
Natural Living also has some great reasons why you should always have a little Epsom salt in your home